The role of leader is very important in the organization. How do you show that you are the leading the group? Here are five competencies that good leaders demonstrate:
1. Visibility – Leaders always need to be seen by followers from formal meeting or announcement to simple as walking around. The issue that came up most often among leaders is the situation where the leader has to perform outside their comfort zone. Therefore, in order to be visible to others when you do not want to be is to prepare yourself in this situation mentally by considering some behavioral options. Then you will be visible with less stressful manner.
2. Preparation – Leaders are always facing complex challenges where they do not know when that kind of situation will come up. By not preparing daily requirements of leadership is not a good practice because leaders need to always be prepare to lead the followers and gain the trust from them. Therefore, mentally prepare is not enough, physically is necessary as well. The look of leader could motivate or demotivate the team easily.
3. Comfortable – Leader’s comfortable is closely related to preparation because leaders does not feel comfortable mainly due to lack of preparation. By comfortable does not mean looking relaxed, however, the leader should be able to stay in control of the situation by displaying comfortable with responsibilities and demands of leadership.
4. Listening – An effective leader must listen to others. Sometimes it is difficult for some to do it, however, this may be one of the easiest competencies to demonstrate.
5. Blend – Sometimes it may be necessary to lower the volume of your leadership presence in order to find the right moments to step out of the spotlight to get the attention.
To be an effective leadership is not just a role, it is important to be prepared, open, and blend into the situation to find a right time or opportunities to come out in solving the issues. Many people would expect leader to come out nicely and not make a mistake, therefore, if you are not showing your leadership, you may lose the opportunity to present yourself.
Credit: “Is Your Leadership Showing?” by Brain Evje.